by Mark K. Megehee and Dr. Boyd L. Dastrup
Established in 1869, Fort Sill initially hosted cavalry regiments, including buffalo soldiers, charged with pacifying native tribes in portions of Texas, Kansas, and Colorado. Replete with old West sagas, heroes, and villains, accounts from the post fascinate enthusiasts even today. Its namesake was chosen by Maj. Gen. “Little Phil” Sheridan to memorialize Brig. Gen. Joshua Sill, who gave his life in the Civil War. Similarly, the lasting impressions of great Americans are commemorated within the fort at Henry Post Army Airfield, “Flipper’s Ditch,” “Ambrosia Springs,” “Sherman House,” and of course, “Geronimo’s Guardhouse.” Even the city of Lawton was named after the “Prince of Quartermasters,” Gen. Henry W. Lawton. Fort Sill’s reputation as the premier artillery training and development center for the US Armed Forces has endured, preparing servicemen for every significant American conflict since its inception.